Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Costa Rica: Stranded in Texas

Houston, Texas
After an unexpected long layover in Houston, Texas (IAH), I found myself surprisingly calm and collected. Despite being thrown on a later flight than I had originally booked for, and having to wait a full 24hrs in Houston, I booked myself a room at the Park Inn by Radisson simply based on the fact that they had a free airport shuttle.

While waiting for my flight at Pearson International airport (YYZ), I found a pair of eyes set on me while I wandered restlessly around the boarding gate on the phone with my bank informing them of my travels.  He was a tall, buff and blonde Caucasian male with his surfer like hair tied up in a ponytail.  I occassionally caught him eyeing me down,  not so much with the look to check me out,  but a look of curiosity and familiarity. I felt the same. Where have I met this guyHe definitely looked familiar... But whereI continued talking on the phone with my bank puzzled by this relatively gorgeous male eyeing me down.

I boarded the plane and made myself comfortable in seat 19C. Two whole seats all to myself!!  I'm such a lucky bitch. The surfer-dude sat about five rows behind me and I saw him eye me down with familiarity again but I didn't make eye contact.  I wasn't sure what I wanted from this situation. I fell asleep.  An hour later,  I woke up and turned around,  he moved seats and sat behind me on the other side. What? Why did he do thatHe tried to lock eyes with me again but I darted my eyes quickly and turned around to face forward. He kept tabs on my every movement,  when I got up,  when I turned around,  shifted in my seat but never did I make eye contact. How creepy. 

We arrived in Houston. The guy beside him kept talking to him,  I noticed he tried to keep his eye on me and looked like he wanted to come over but the dude kept talking to him about something he probably had no interest in hearing about.  The thought had occurred to me to meet him at baggage claim and see where he was off to.  After all,  I had no plans myself.  I could figure out where we met... But we lost each other in the crowds. I saw him walking out of the airport in front of me but he didn't see me and that was the last of it. 
I am pretty sure I met him last year on my travel through Monteverde, Costa Rica. He was the one who had his camera stolen sleeping on the floor hung over at the bus station.  I am not sure but that keeps coming to mind.  He looks just like that guy just not as scruffy since he's probably not backpacking from wherever he came from, Toronto.

What are the chances of meeting someone twice on my travels without exchanging contacts? 

Should've. Would've. Could've.

Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment